Sep 25, 2011

The Best Sales Technique

To make the lesson on salesmanship more realistic, the teacher's weekend assignment was to sell something, and on Monday morning, each student was to report how much money one made, and tell the kind of sales principle one used.

Come Monday morning, each student appeared unusually excited to tell his/her story.
Sally, the smartest girl in the class, led off as she proudly said: "I sold girl scout cookies. I made $30. My sales approach was to appeal to the customer's civil spirit."

"Very good," said the teacher.

Mary was next: "I sold magazines. I made $45. I explained to the buyer that magazines would keep them up on current events.

"Very good, Mary" said the teacher.

After almost everyone gave his/her report, finally, last but definitely not the leasty, it was Johnny's turn. Johnny walked to the front of the classroom, and dumped a box full of cash on the teacher's desk as he proudly announced, "I made $2,467.00!"

"$2,467!" exclaimed the teacher in disbelief. "What in the world did you sell that you made that much?”

"Toothbrushes," said Johnny nonchalantly.

"Toothbrushes?" questioned the teacher. "How could you possibly sell enough toothbrushes to make that much money over the weekend?"

Johnny explained in his usual cocky way, "I found the busiest corner in town and I set up a chip & dip stand. Then I gave each person who walked by a free sample. After tasting the chip & dip, they all said the same thing, 'This tastes like dog crap!' Then I said, 'It is dog crap. Wanna buy a toothbrush to take away the taste?' I used the typical government approach of giving people something shitty for free, and then making them pay to get the shitty taste out of their mouth."

Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment