- 1 cup fresh fava beans (from about 1 lb. pods) or frozen fava beans, thawed
- Kosher salt
- 2 lemons, halved
- 3 pounds baby artichokes (about 16)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3½–4-lb. chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 8 shallots, peeled, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- If using fresh fava beans, cook in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a colander set in a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain, remove skins, and place beans in a small bowl. Do not cook frozen beans.
- Squeeze juice from lemons into a large bowl of cold water. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, remove tough dark outer leaves. Using a serrated knife, cut off 1” from top, then trim stem, leaving at least ½” intact. Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, remove dark outer layer from stem. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise, scoop out choke with a spoon, and discard. Transfer artichoke to lemon water to prevent it from turning brown.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high heat. Drain artichokes and pat dry. Add to pan; season with kosher salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until brown and crisp in places, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet. Wipe out pot.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken with kosher salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, cook chicken, skin side down, until brown and crisp, 6–8 minutes (do not turn). Transfer to baking sheet with artichokes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add shallots to pot, and cook, stirring often, until golden brown and beginning to soften, 8–10 minutes. Add wine and vinegar and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot; cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Mix in broth, then add artichokes and chicken, skin side up. Transfer to oven and cook, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, 20–25 minutes. Mix in fava beans.
- Serve chicken and vegetables topped with chives and parsley and seasoned with sea salt and pepper.-bon appetit